1907-1955 On September 7, 1907 Brothers Martin Van Buren, Horace Porter Sr., Robert Gordon, Will Porter, Will Webb Walter Sherriil, Tom Turner, Kale Porter, and Vestal Polk purchased land from Mr. G. M. Bates to build a school house. Miss Queenie Frierson was the first teacher. Later the building was used for A.M.E. Ministers. The name at that time was Lots Chapel . The first Presiding Elder was Rev. G. J. Jackson Jr. The first Stewards were Brothers Robert Hall, Will Spain, Aaron Gordon and West McCandless, Sr. The first Sunday School Superintendent was Brother Aaron Gordon. The first Sunday School teachers were, Sisters Carrie Dockery, Mattie Webb, Martha Esters; Brothers Tom Turner and Robert Gordon. The old school building was sold and use as a residence, during the Pastorage of Rev. William Riggins.
Wayman Chapel was built with mostly free labor. It was named in honor of the late Bishop Alexander Wayman. It was admitted into the Tennessee Conference. In 1926 under Rev. J.W.E. West, Wayman Chapel became a station. Many necessary improvements were made including, the installation of electric lights. In the forties, Rev. Horace Taylor became the pastor of Wayman Chapel. It was during his pastorage that the first parsonage was built. The church also purchased a tract of land joining the church from Sister Belle Stephenson.
1955-1981 Rev. Earl T. Bone was sent to Wayman Chapel in 1955. Under his administration a new parsonage was built and the old church building renovated. Later plans were made for the new church which was in two stages. The educational building was built first and used for worship. Plans were then made for the new sanctuary. After much prayer, meditation, study and deliberation, Wayman Chapel appointed officers to serve in the following positions: Building Committee: Brothers Harold Wainwright, Anderson Hughes, Howard Johnson, Willie Nevett, and Brown Mitchell; Finance Committee: Sister Mattie T. Wright, Brother William F. Scruggs; Consultant: Brother Randolph Howell. Finally, in 1976 our dreams became a reality. Bishop W.R. Wilkes came and conducted “The Corner Stone Laying Service.” Upon completion of Wayman Chapel our Presiding Elder Rev. E.M. Alcorn dedicated our new sanctuary and its furnishings. The furnishing for the sanctuary had been donated by the members and families of Wayman Chapel. By the love and grace of God the sanctuary and furnishings were completely paid for in six years. He served as pastor for twenty-six years.
1980's Rev. Lewis Henry Sykes became Pastor in 1981. During his administration the property at 106 South Jackson Street was purchased for rental purpose and a parking lot.
Rev. Thomas Walker became pastor of Wayman Chapel in 1989 and served one year. The congregation was brought together spiritually and we were moved from division to unity. With his vision the parsonage located at 2104 Magnolia Drive was purchased. He also inspired the congregation to become more spiritual aware.
1990's Rev. Charlene N. Boone became our pastor in 1990, being the first female pastor of Wayman Chapel. With God’s guidance and in accordance to his will, she instituted and steered several ministries at Wayman Chapel. She led the church toward becoming a tithing church, soaring to financial levels never attained before. J.A.M. (Jesus and Me), and N.I.P. (Nothing Is Impossible) began at that time. In 1992 Sister Velma Dockery Wainwright minister of music since early childhood went to be with the Lord. Sister Annettee Hughes McCandless has also served as musician during her membership at Wayman. Musicians that followed were Brothers Anthony Orr, and Glenn Sowell. Finally, Rev. Boone was instrumental in bringing in Sister Diane Ogilvie as Minister of Music.The Ministerial Staff consisted of Rev. Ashley Cox Deacon, Brother Victor Goodman and Sister Rose Taylor, Licentiates.
Rev. Edgar R. Mayham became pastor in 1995 although his tenure here was short; he was a dedicated bible teacher and an effective spiritual leader. Rev. Mayham outlined a financial project entitled “The Twelve Tribes of Israel”, with an umbrella of members under each tribe. This project proved to be very successful. Ministerial Staff: Rev. Victor Goodman, Sister Rose Taylor, Sister Linda Rainge, Brother Michael Gaines, and Musician Sister Diane Ogilvie.
Rev. Anthony Thomas became Pastor of Wayman Chapel in 1996. He continued with the“Twelve Tribes of Israel” Project. Under his leadership the adjacent property (Mt. Heborn Primitive Baptist Church) property was purchased. He donated a van to Wayman Chapel thus our transportation ministry began. The M.A.J. (My Attitude in Jesus) summer program for youth was also started. After the resignation of Sister Diane Ogilvie as a minister of music Wayman Chapel was again without a musician. Rev. Thomas brought in a drum set, thus starting Wayman’s first drum ministry with Tylan Orr as drummer and later Jason Ogilvie. Tylan started playing the piano for Wayman at age 10. Sister Bonnie Barnett soon came as minister of music. The Ministerial staff consisted of Sister Rose Taylor Deacon, and Brother Trent Ogilvie.
Rev. J.P. Asworth III became pastor on 1998. During his tenure here having a strong sense of pride in our heritage, Wayman Chapel was honored to have one of his personal paintings Richard Allen founder of the A.M.E. church grace our walls. The painting was by Rev. Ashworth’s son, Brother J.P. Ashworth IV. Brother Ashworth is an accomplished artist. Rev. Ashworth, also organized Vintage Day and introduced “The Circle of Love” that is still formed after each Sunday morning worship service. Due to illness Rev. Ash Worth III was unable to be here and Rev. Trent Ogilvie Deacon conducted service. Wayman Chapel was so blessed to have him.
1999-2007 Rev. Dr. James McKissack in 1999 became pastor of Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church. Ministerial Staff Sister Sharon Ogilvie Youth Minister, Sister Yvonne Johnson Evangelist, Brother Tylan Orr Minister of Music. Rev. Mickissack was a spiritual leader/teacher that gave new visions and broadened our horizons by re-invigorating our membership and challenging us to reach to higher heights of service to our Lord, church and community. Under Rev. McKissack’s leadership the church has re-invented itself by creating a healing and nurturing environment for young and old. The church purchased a new van for its vibrant outreach and youth ministry. Dr. Mckissack led Wayman to become a committed church with a mission, “To inspire spiritual growth, through the ministry of healing, teaching, and promoting Christian values according to the Word of God.” We increased our membership particularly among youth and young adults both of which are very active on the conference district levels. The late Mrs. Mattie T. Wright left an endowment of $30,000.00 for the building fund. A building committee was formed to oversee the erection of a multipurpose building/church extension in the very near future. History has already shown evidence of what can be done by dedicated Christians and anointed leaders.
Rev. Leland H. Webster was appointed as Pastor for the year 2007-2009. Rev. Webster brought with him exemplary leadership. He emphasizes Christian stewardship, discipline, obedience, and accountability. He strongly encourages the attendance of Sunday School and Bible Study. Rev. Webster implemented the first “Children Church Worship Service”which is held every third Sunday at 10:15 a.m. He also instituted the Gas Card Giveaway Ministry to address the significant increase in fuel prices and to promote church attendance. Rev. Webster improved the church administration via the purchase of a lap top computer to record minutes of Steward and Official Board meetings, automaton of the membership roster began, hired an administrative assistance and director of music. Also, under his leadership the Computer Lab and Administrative Office received a donation of flat screen computers, the installation of internet and cable services (wireless connection), a new telephone system was set up and the Fellowship Hall refurbishment dept was reduced by 40% ($8,500.00). Rev. Leland H. Webster was re-appointed to Wayman Chapel A.M.E. church as pastor for the year 2008-2009. Rev. Leland H. Webster continues to lead by example. Rev. Webster implemented a New Members’ Class, as well as, a New Members’ Training Publication. Under his direction the Wednesday Evening Adult Bible Study class has increased enormously, in which weekly study guides are distributed. Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church continues to walk by faith answering to call of service. Rev. Leland H. Webster has been received once again by the Wayman family with open arms and loving hearts, for the conference year 2009-2010. The ministry of Wayman has reached an overflow led by Rev. Webster. God certainly used Rev. Webster wisdom and knowledge to teach Christian living. The Sunday School and Bible Study classes continues to strive. Rev. Webster has been an extraordinary servant of the Lord. June of 2010 our Lord and Savior look down from the heavens and said “Leland Harris Webster” you have fought a good fight, you have finished the course, and it is now time for you to come up higher. We celebrated the life of the late Rev. Leland Webster on July 1, 2010. The passing of Rev. Leland H. Webster left a legacy at Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church to stand for what is right before God. One of his favorite verses 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth, will remain in our hearts forever.
2010-2018 (2010 - 2018) Rev. Victor Goodman was appointed to the charge at Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church October 24, 2010 and is the first Pastor to be appointed to the church where he accepted his calling to ministry. The Ministerial Staff consisted of Brother Tylan Orr, Licentiate, Brother Willie Nelson, Exhorter and Brother Nathaniel Harlan, Exhorter. Under his leadership the ministry has moved to another level of community outreach, worship, and the use of technology to reach all ages. Under the direction and leadership of Reverend Goodman “Real Talk” (bible study held on Saturdays for ages 18 – 36 years of age that address today’s issues by using biblical principles with real talk) was evolved. The Calling post, an automated calling system that has the capability of contacting a particular board, group, or the entire congregation in with one call was initiated. Rev. Goodman being led by God introduced “Vision 2012” which has increased the ministry’s giving tremendously. Reverend Goodman instituted a system to maintain the church history through digital technology. Reverend Goodman teaches to allow the word of God to convert your way of living. Reverend Goodman demonstrates the life of throwing out the net and bringing all in that are seeking to learn how God can and will change their life. Rev. Victor Goodman was re-appointed as pastor of Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church for the 2011-2012 conference year. Under his leadership the Third Sunday worship service is being carried out by the Youth, Brother Tylan Orr was ordained as Deacon at the 2011 Tennessee Annual Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and he is now Reverend Tylan Orr were he serves faithfully, increase of membership, the adult bible study class has been extraordinarily vibrant, the involvement of the church in the community has spiraled a phenomenal spiritual impact on the lives of both the young and old throughout the city, and the church has been blessed spiritually and financially. Wayman will continue to write its history as a testimony of the goodness of God. Rev. Goodman was again re-appointed as the proud pastor of Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 conference years. Under his leadership the church property located at 103 S. Jackson St. which serves as the Nursery and the Educational Building for our youth was remodeled, the demolition of the property at 106 S. Jackson St. took place to lead the way for the upcoming expansion of the church. The tutorial program was revamped under the new name of ATAP "All Things Are Possible" through Christ and to those who believe. He continues to support the following ministries at Wayman Chapel as they continue to grown and minister to the community and abroad: Senior Ministry, Women's Ministry, Men's Ministry, Praise Dance Ministry, Young Adult (RAYAC) Ministry, Owen's Wright Missionary, and JAM (Jesus and Me) Ministry. "Seed of Faith" pledge was initiated during the 2013-2014 conference year. Under Rev. Goodman's direction Wayman continues to reach out to our surrounding communities and hosted its first annual Fall Festival. Rev. Victor Goodman was re-appointed for the 2014-2015 conference year. Under his leadership two major purchases were made; a 26 passenger bus and property located at 1825 South Main Street. Also three desktop computers, software and a printer were purchased to enhance the ministry for teaching and training. The church continues to support the community by providing monthly meals to the Maury County Senior Citizens Center, sponsorship of the Boys and Girls Club of Maury County, continues to contribute funding for the Youth Mule Town Baseball League, provides a significant donation to the Horace O. Porter Scholarship Fund and continues outreach to the community.
2018-present (2018 - present) Presiding Elder Sidney F. Bryant served as supply pastor until Bishop Jeffrey N. Leath appointed a new pastor & daughter of Wayman, Rev. Sharon M Ogilvie on September 1, 2018.